Mission Training International’s vision is to see cross-cultural messengers of the Gospel of Jesus Christ experience effectiveness, endurance and personal vitality. MTI accomplishes this through two main programs: Compass and DAR.
Doing cross-cultural ministry is difficult and requires more than a sense of calling. It requires a broad set of skills and a healthy approach to life and ministry. A large majority of cross-cultural workers aren’t adequately prepared for their calling, which leads to frustration, burn-out, or more destructive patterns. This is where MTI can help. For over 65 years, MTI has been providing relevant, practical, in-residence training on the make-or-break issues that help make cross-cultural messengers of the Gospel more effective.
Our unique training offers a three-dimensional approach:
1. Life-sharing Community
Our programs are immersive—participants come and live in a community of other cross-cultural workers going to the field, or returning, for the duration of their training. A major make-or-break issue for cross-cultural workers is unhealthy relationships or unresolved conflict on their own team, or family. MTI’s interactive community-enhanced training focuses on creating strong team relationships and living in a healthy Christian community, which means engendering depth and vulnerability in relationships and resolving conflicts when they arise. This experience of living in true Christian community shapes each person individually while also creating an internal desire to replicate that community wherever they go.
2. Paradigm-shifting Tools
Missionaries need practical tools to help them thrive long term. The tools we provide—in language acquisition, communication, and leadership—help to shift the paradigm of each participant. Many arrive with idealistic expectations and need to understand the reality of the difficulties they will experience and how to navigate them effectively. By the end of the program, they have a quiet confidence that comes from realistic expectations and a framework for how to live and serve well for the long haul.
3. Heart-healing Process
We do not simply give skills, we deal with heart issues. How do you deal with conflict? How do you react when things do not go as planned? Have you developed healthy attitudes and behaviors personally and within your family? These questions, and many others like them, must be addressed in order to succeed long term. We help singles and families confront brokenness and find healing in a safe place, inviting them into an ongoing process of formation and freedom. This allows them to truly live the message of hope and transformation found in Christ, which will lead to effectiveness and thriving in ministry.
These three dimensions of our programs work together in powerful ways to prepare you to fulfill your calling and thrive long-term in ministry.
The MTI Retreat & Conference Center is in a convenient, close-to-town (Colorado Springs) location that still feels secluded and inviting. It’s intentionally designed to facilitate learning and community.
- 28 guest rooms designed for maximum overnight comfort.
- A variety of large and small meeting rooms with audio/visual capabilities and high speed wifi.
- Full-service kitchen providing three hot meals every day in our spacious, sunny dining room.
- Common areas arranged to build community and foster conversation, including large patio and seating with outdoor gas fire pit.
- Easy access to trails for hiking and biking. The famous Santa Fe Trail begins in Palmer Lake, just a one-mile walk, and goes south next to MTI’s property. In addition is a partially wooded nature trail directly up the hillside giving amazing views of the Rampart Range of the Rockies and the Colorado Springs valley.
Rooms & Amenities
- Living Accommodations at MTI: 28 guest rooms with private baths. Our facility is flexible to the size of each family. We have adjoining rooms for larger families.
- Towels and Bedding: Both are provided.
- Pack ’n Plays: Available for you if needed.
- Internet Access: Available in the common areas of the building.
- Computer and Printer: Available for your use.
- Fax: May be sent or received at the reception desk.
- Notary Public: Available for participants.
- Washers and Dryers: Complimentary laundry use. Note: Liquid laundry detergent only.
- Iron and Ironing Board: Available in the laundry room.
- Microwave and Refrigerator: Located in the community area.
- Highchairs and Booster Seats: Available in the dining room.
- Hair Dryers: Available in all rooms.